This step of EDI is fairly self-explanatory yet a crucial part of teaching explicit direct instruction. It’s modeling and guiding the steps tp gain mastery. Here’s an example which I think says it better than I can:
You should have a copy of the steps for the kids on their desks or written clearly on the board, something like this: Steps:
1) Examine the title and pictures for meaning.
2) Read the text once to gain familiarity
3) Go through the text a second time making notes in the margin while eliminating extraneous things.
4) Analyze the next question referring back to the text to decide which choices to eliminate.
5) Choose the best answer
6) Repeat steps 4-6 with the next question until done.